COVID-19: First Responders Caught in the Pandemic

May 19, 2020
Firehouse will keep you informed about firefighters and EMS workers who have made the ultimate sacrifice on the front lines of the devastating coronavirus pandemic.

As the coronavirus pandemic continues to take a global toll, looks at the firefighters, paramedics and other first responders who have lost their lives while providing the front line defense against the deadly virus. We also will update the number of confirmed cases around the world, as well as those first responders in the United States who have been infected with the coronavirus.

Go to's COVID-19 page for our complete coverage of the outbreak, including breaking news and valuable resources for your departments.

The following is a breakdown of the spread of the coronavirus and how it has been affecting firefighters and other first responders, according to the International Association of Fire Chiefs. (UPDATED: 10:55 a.m. Tuesday, May 19)

U.S. First Responders Affected

  • Testing Positive for Coronavirus: 711
  • Exposed to Coronavirus: 14,141
  • Quarantined: 12,476

James Villecco, 55, FDNY (March 29)

James Villecco, 55, had been a part of the FDNY Bureau of Fleet Services in 2014, according to the department. He started in the Coney Island repair facility and eventually was assigned to the Review Avenue ambulance repair shop.

"James Villecco was one of those truly unsung heroes in our Department whose outstanding work provided medical care for the people of our city," FDNY Commissioner Daniel A. Nigro said in a statement. "The entire Department mourns his loss."

Villecco was the first member of the FDNY to die from the coronavirus.

Israel Tolentino, 33, Passaic, NJ (March 31)

Passaic, NJ, firefighter Israel Tolentino died March 31 from complications of COVID-19, Mayor Hector Lora announced during a press conference with Fire Chief Patrick Trentacost, who fought back tears. 

“Israel was a great father, person, husband, son,” he said, adding that Tolentino had achieved his dream of becoming a firefighter.

Tolentino joined the Passaic Fire Department in December 2018. He is survived by his wife, as well as a daughter, 9, and a son, 7.

Syed Rahman, 59, FDNY (April 3)

FDNY Deputy Chief Inspector Syed Rahman, 59, died from the coronavirus, the department announced April 3. He had been with the department for 22 years and managed a team of fire protection inspectors assigned to the Bureau of Management Analysis and Planning, Office of Internal Audit and Control. 

“Deputy Chief Inspector Rahman dedicated his life to helping others through his service to the Department, and New Yorkers were safer because of his outstanding work,” Commissioner Daniel A. Nigro said in a statement on the department's Facebook page. “Every day, he helped accomplish FDNY’s lifesaving mission and ensured construction, demolition, and abatement took place safely in our city. Our entire Department mourns his loss.”

Before he died,  Rahman was preparing to help the Bureau of Fire Prevention on an assignment related to COVID-19 capacity enforcement. A resident of Queens, he is survived by his wife, Sadia, and four sons.

A COVID-19 Emergency Fund has been set up by the FDNY Foundation to directly help department members and their families affected by the pandemic. Go to the foundation's website to donate in support of the families of Rahman, Villecco or other FDNY members.

Rick Johnson, 50, Tullytown, PA, Fire Department (April 4)

Tullytown, PA, Assistant Fire Chief Rick Johnson, 50, died of complications from the coronavirus, the department announced Saturday.

The veteran firefighter had been a member of the Tullytown Volunteer Fire Company for more than 30 years and had served as chief. Over the years, four generations of Johnson's family have been associated with the fire company, including his grandfather, his father and son Cody, who is currently a firefighter.

“When you grow up in a small town, we’re like family. We have our fights and tussles, but when you lose someone like Rick, it’s like losing a member of the family,” Mayor David Cutchineal, told The Intelligencer

Johnson is survived by his wife and two children.

Mario Araujo, 49, Chicago Fire Department (April 7)

Chicago firefighter Mario Araujo, 49, was the first from the department to die from the coronavirus, officials said April 7.

Araujo had been with the Chicago Fire Department since October 2003. He had spent most of his career at Truck 25.

“CFD members put themselves in harm’s way without hesitation to selflessly uphold the oath they took to be there for every person they encounter during an emergency situation. Firefighter Araujo’s service will never be forgotten,” Fire Department Commissioner Richard Ford said in a statement, according to the Chicago Tribune.

James "Tank" Waters, 40, Tryon, NC, Fire Department (April 7)

According to the USFA, Tryon Fire Chief James Waters was working from home while adhering to a precautionary coronavirus quarantine when he fell ill on April 7. Emergency crews responded to the residence and began to treat the chief before transporting him to a hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Waters tested negative for COVID-19 after his death, according to his wife. He was tested twice, and both tests were negative, his wife stated in an online post.

Chief Waters served with the Town of Columbus Fire Department before joining the department in Tryon, and he also worked part-time with the Saluda Fire Department and the Henderson County Rescue Squad, according to a press release from the Tryon Fire Department.

"Chief Waters, Tank, was larger than life. He was a true public servant," the release says. "His passing leaves an irreplaceable void in public service and the emergency services community here in Polk County."

Kevin Leiva, 24, Pompton Lakes, NJ, EMS (April 7)

Kevin Leiva, an EMT in North Bergen and at Saint Clare’s Dover Hospital, died from complications with the coronavirus on April 7, said Cesar Perez, an EMS supervisor in Passaic for Saint Clare’s. He leaves behind his wife Marina.

Leiva is the second EMT who worked at Saint Clare’s to have died from complications with the coronavirus. He died one week to the day after the death of Israel Tolentino Jr., a 33-year-old Passaic firefighter and EMT at Saint Clare’s.

Leiva was remembered as smart, positive and selfless, who lived to help others through being an EMT.

“We did everything together,” said Kara Connolly, his partner for two years at Saint Clare’s. “We became really close. I talked to him every single day. He’s so selfless. He did everything for anybody.”

Franklin Williams, 57, Detroit Fire Department (April 8)

The Detroit Fire Fighters Association announced on April 8 the line-of-duty death of Capt. Franklin Williams, who served for over 31 years with the department and had tested positive for the coronavirus late last month.

WDIV News in Detroit is reporting that Capt. Williams suffered a fatal heart attack as doctors were attempting to connect him to a ventilator. Williams appears to be the first serious case of COVID-19 to hit a department that has had at least 50 members test positive for the virus.

Williams leaves behind a wife and seven children, according to WDIV.

Michael Field, 59, Valley Stream, NY, Fire Department (April 8)

Valley Stream volunteer firefighter/EMT Michael Field passed away on April 8 after contracting the coronavirus during a March 24 response at a residence where the patient had a known case of the virus.

The 59-year-old Field was a member of the fire service for 33 years, according to the USFA.

A post on the Valley Stream VFD's Facebook page says Field joined the department in 1987 and "rose through the ranks, serving the company as Lieutenant, Captain and since 2007 as a warden on the departments fire council."

The post also says Field was an EMT in New York City for more than 15 years and was on duty when the 9/11 terror attacks occurred, responding and operating at the World Trade Center before and after the towers collapsed.

Jim Keyser, Schenksville, PA, Fire Company (April 9)

Trappe Fire Company No. 1 in Trappe, PA, announced on Facebook that local Fire Chief Jim Keyser passed away on the morning of April 9 from COVID-19 complications.

It's unclear from the post if Chief Keyser contracted the deadly virus while he was on duty. Keyser's LinkedIn profile states that he served as chief with the Schwenksville Fire Company.

Edward Mungin, 56, FDNY (April 11)

FDNY Supervising Fire Inspector Edward Mungin, 41, died from the coronavirus, the department announced Saturday.

In his role with the FDNY, Mungin was helping prepare the New York City for their response to COVID-19's outbreak. He had joined the department eight years ago and was assigned to the Bureau of Fire Prevention where he supervised inspectors at FDNY’s Shelter Task Force and Three Quarter Housing Task Force. 

As the pandemic hit New York City, he worked with the Health Task Force to conduct field assessments of buildings that were selected to be used as shelters.

“Fire Inspectors like Edward Mungin work tirelessly to prevent fires and other hazardous conditions, and his efforts in particular protected many of our most vulnerable New Yorkers” FDNY Fire Commissioner Daniel A. Nigro said in a statement. “COVID-19 continues to take the lives of far too many, including those brave men and women who dedicated their lives to serving our department and protecting this great city.”

Kellie Childs, 54, FDNY (April 11)

Kellie Childs, director of the Cashiers' Unit for the FDNY's Bureau of Revenue, died from COVID-19, the departrment said.

Childs worked for the FDNY for 32 years. In her role with the department, she supervised the collection of customer payments for fire prevention licenses and certifications.

“Through her many years of service supporting licenses and certifications for the Bureau of Fire Prevention, Ms. Childs was a vital part of keeping our city safe,” Commissioner Daniel A. Nigro said in a statement. “Every member of the FDNY plays an important role in protecting our city. Our entire Department mourns her loss.”A resident of the Bronx, Ms. Childs was a dedicated member of the Department, a beloved colleague, and a devoted mother. She is survived by her daughter Amber, as well as her brother Derek.

John Schoffstall, 41, Terre Haute, IN, Fire Department (April 12)

Terre Haute firefighter John Schoffstall, 41, died at Union Hospital around 3 a.m., fire officials told the Tribune-Star.

Schoffstall joined the fire department 12 years ago and was assigned to Station 5.

"I'm kind of at a loss for words because I was not prepared for this,"  Terre Haute Fire Chief Jeff Fisher said. "John's condition had been improving and we were hoping for a different kind of parade."

"He will be sadly missed, but his memory will live with the department for a long time," said Fisher.

Members of the community and firefighter gathered outside the hospital each night for a prayer service after Schoffstall was hospitalized. Cars and fire apparatus joined the nightly prayer sessions. 

Gregory Hodge, 59, FDNY (April 13)

Gregory Hodge, 59, a 24-year FDNY veteran EMT who was part of the 9/11 rescue and recovery efforts, has died from the coronavirus.

Hodge, who resided in Manhattan, started his FDNY career at Harlem's Station 16 and then was assigned to Station 55 in the Bronx.In October 2016, he was assigned to New York Emergency Management as watch commander, the department said in an online update. In that capacity, he monitored citywide radio frequencies, weather forecasts and local, national and international media reports as part of the unit’s emergency management operation.

“EMT Hodge was a skilled first responder who provided outstanding emergency medical care to thousands of New Yorkers throughout his long and distinguished career of service,” said Commissioner Daniel A. Nigro said in a statement. "This pandemic has impacted our Department at every level, especially our EMS members who are responding to more medical calls than ever before. Now, they will continue to bravely answer those calls with even heavier hearts, having lost one of their fellow EMTs to COVID-19. Our entire Department mourns his loss.”

Billy Birmingham, Kansas City, MO, Fire Department (April 13)

Kansas City, MO, EMT Billy Birmingham died April 13 from COVID-19.

Birmingham began his career in 1998 with Metropolitan Ambulance Servie. He had been with the Kansas City Fire Departemnt for the past decade.

“Brother Billy Birmingham is Kansas City’s first line of duty death related to the COVID-19 outbreak,” Mayor Quinton Lucas said on social media. “My hope is he is our last.”

“His passing represents a personal loss to all of us who knew him and cherished both his friendship and professionalism,” Fire Chief Donna Maize told The Kansas City Star.

Michael Burke, Little Falls, NJ, Fire Department and Singac Fire Company (April 13)

Described as a "true hero," Singac Fire Company firefighter Michael Burke, who also served as president of the Little Falls, NJ, Fire Department, died of complications from COVID-19.

“As all know, he was one of the most passionate men in this world,” the Singac Fire Company stated in an online post. “A man that would do basically anything for anyone, a man that always left his mark no matter where he went.”

“Honor, integrity, bravery, commitment, compassionate are only a few words to describe Mike’s personality,” the PBA 346, the Little Falls Police union, also stated in a post.

Edward Singleton, 55, Chicago Fire Department (April 14)

Chicago firefighter Edward Singleton, 55, died from COVID-19 on April 14, becoming the second member of the department to lose his life to the virus.

Singleton joined the department in 1987 and was assigned to Midway Airport, CFD spokesman Larry Langford announced over Twitter. He is survived by his wife, Nicol, and two adult children.

“We don’t need to lose another CFD member to understand the gravity of the circumstances that first responders are currently operating under," Commissioner Richard C. Ford II said in a statement. 

"Firefighter Singleton’s contributions and his spirit will live on forever," he added.

Richard P. Campbell , 55, Edison, NJ, Fire Department (April 16)

Edison, NJ, Fire Capt. Richard P. Campbell died from complications of the coronavirus at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital,according to the department..

Campbell, who was known as “RP,” was a 28-year veteran of the fire department, and worked up until he became sick, the division said, including his last call at an apartment complex fire.

“He had two main passions in life: family and the fire department. If you were fortunate to know RP, you would know that he was always ‘on the go’ either helping family members or the fire department,” the fire division said in a statement.

Campbell came from a firefighting family. His father was a firefighter in Edison, and his brother was a firefighter in Elizabeth until he died last year, NJ Advance Media Group reports. Another brother, Danny, is a deputy chief in Elizabeth.

He is survived by his wife, Kimberly, and four children, Kaitlin, Kevin, Kristopher, and Arianna.

Robert Weber, Middletown, NJ, Fire Department and Port Monmouth, NJ, Fire Company (April 16)

Firefighter-EMT Robert Weber died from complications of COVID-19, the Monmouth County, NJ, Sheriff's Office announced Thursday.

Weber was a member of three separate agencies, according to NJ Advance Media Group: the Middletown First Aid and Rescue Squad; the Port Monmouth Fire Company; and the Middletown Fire Department’s Air Unit.

“This dedicated first responder is another hero who we lost in the fight against #COVID19,” Monmouth County Sheriff Shaun Golden stated in an online update.

Robert E. Zerman, 49, Pioneer Hose Co., Robesonia, PA  (April 16)

Robert E. Zerman, asistaint chief with Pioneer Hose Co., in Robesonia, PA, died April 16, following a battle with COVID-19.

Over the years, Zerman had served in various high positions with Western Berks Fire Department and Womelsdorf Volunteer Fire, the Erie Times-News reports. He also was an EMT for Western Berks Ambulance.

"He served his community," Anthony Tucci, chief executive officer of Western Berks Ambulance Association, told the Time-News. "He was always there to help anybody in need."

Zerman is survived by his wife of 26 years, Greta, their two sons and two grandchildren.

John P. Carrecia, Woodbridge Township, NJ, Ambulance & Rescue Squad (April 17)

John Careccia, chief of Woodbridge Township Ambulance & Rescue Squad, died from complications of COVID-19, Port Reading Fire Company No. 1 announced in an online post.

He also served as the rescue squad's training director.

"I decided to pursue a career in Emergency Medical Care in 1993 after seeing what 2 emergency responders did to save my son," Careccia said in a 2015 interview with CPR Headquarters, where he also contributed as a columnist. "I decided then and there that I would pay it forward. I became a volunteer EMT in 1993 and started teaching CPR in 1994. I realized early on that I was able to teach others how to apply life saving techniques effectively especially when it came to using CPR to save lives. I developed a unique approach to teaching CPR more from a practical rather than technical application."

Dave Clark, 47, Bay Head, NJ, Fire Company No. 1 (April 18)

Bay Head, NJ, Fire Company No. 1 firefighter Dave Clark died Saturday morning following a “long and tough battle with the COVID-19 virus, the department announced. He had been hospitalized for around two weeks, according to

Clark served in a variety of positions while he was with the 46-member volunteer fire company. He was chief engineer for a year, as well as the department's safety officer.

“He had a tremendous interest in apparatus," Chief Joe Todisco told “He would even visit different expositions where they had apparatus on display. He was into the new innovations that are coming about.”

John Redd, 63, FDNY (April 21)

Veteran FDNY EMT John Redd, 63, died from COVID-19, the department announced.

Redd was a 26-year EMS veteran, and he was assigned to FDNY's Emergency Medical Dispatch, the department stated in an online post. He served as an assignment receiving dispatcher, answering 9-1-1 calls for EMS and providing first aid instructions to callers before units arrived.

Redd also was part of the rescue and recovery efforts at the World Trade Center following the 9/11 attacks.

“Thousands and thousands of times in his career, EMT Redd quite literally answered the call for help in our city. He was a vital part of our emergency medical response and all of the FDNY mourns his loss," Commissioner Daniel A. Nigro said in a statement.

Idris Bey, 60, FDNY (April 22)

FDNY EMT Idris Bey, 60, died from COVID-19 and was the eighth member of the department to die from the virus.

He was a 27-year EMS veteran and part of the rescue and recovery efforts at the World Trade Center, the department announced in an online statement. He was assigned to the FDNY's EMS Bureau of Training in 2002, and while at the EMS Training Academy at Fort Totten, Bey was a CFR Instructor and taught emergency medical care.

⁣⁣“During his extraordinary career, EMT Bey responded to countless calls for help in Brooklyn, and then took his experience and dedication to our academy, where he was responsible for the lifesaving training received by thousands of FDNY members," Commissioner Daniel A. Nigro said in a statement. "Every New Yorker owes him a debt of gratitude for the expert education he provided our EMTs and Firefighters. FDNY is known as the best Fire Department in the world, and our prehospital emergency medical care is second to none. Those facts are thanks to incredible people like Idris Bey, who dedicated their lives to the safety and training of our members.”⁣

David Martin, American Medical Response Paramedic, Natchez, MS (April 22)

David Martin, a paramedic with American Medical Response in Natchez, has died from complications of COVID-19. 

“Our hearts are heavy as we say goodbye to our friend and colleague David Martin, who lost his fight against COVID-19 today,” the company stated in an online post.

Although AMR's southwest Mississippi headquarters is in Natchez, Martin did work out of that office. He did, however, work in AMR's southwest Mississippi coverage area, a spokesman told the Natchez Democrat.

Harold "Eddie" Moore Jr., 42, Jackson, ME, Voluteer Fire Department (April 28)

Jackson Fire Lt. Harold “Eddie” Moore Jr., 42, died of cardiac arrest April 28, and he later tested positive for COVID-19.

Moore had responded to a residential blaze, and when he returned home that evening, he suffered a fatal medical emergency, the U.S. Fire Administration stated in an alert. The 25-year veteran of the fire service tested positive for COVID-19 after his death, the department’s fire chief told Bangor Daily News

Moore’s wife, a certified nursing assistant at Tall Pines in Belfast, was one of the employees who tested positive for COVID-19 during an outbreak at the facility. She had gone home to quarantine herself, and Moore had joined her.

While quarantined for more than three weeks, Moore suffered mild COVID-19 symptoms. That included losing his sense of taste, and smell.

Paul Cary, 66, Ambulnz, Aurora, CO (April 30)

Colorado paramedic Paul Cary, 66, who was deployed to work in New York City as part of FEMA's response to the COVID-19 pandemic, died of the virus April 30. He had volunteered for assignment as part of Ambulnz’s team of rescue workers in New York City and was the first line of duty death of FEMA-deployed responders, the company said in a statement.

Before working as an Ambulnz paramedic, Cary served for more than 30 years as a firefighter/paramedic with the Aurora, CO, Fire Department. He is survived by two sons and four grandchildren.

"Paul made the ultimate sacrifice for his country and will forever be remembered as extremely dependable and completely devoted to his work," Ambulnz said in a statement.

Cary began showing symptoms of COVID-19 around April 19 or 20, and he was tested positive for the virus last week, KCNC-TV reports. He was admitted to Montefiore Hospital in the Bronx, and the medical company found out about his death April 30.

Don DiPetrillo, 70, Seminole Tribe of Florida (April 30)

Don DiPetrillo, the fire chief for the Seminole Tribe of Florida, died of complications from COVID-19 on April 30.

The veteran firefighter battled the virus for seven weeks, the Sun Sentinel reports. He was admitted to the hospital March 10 after testing positive for COVID-19 but was sent home of possibly recovering.

DiPetrillo, however, was admitted again to Memorial Regional Hospital in Hollywood two days later. He died late April 30, a tribe spokesman told the Sun Sentinel.

DiPetrillo had been fire chief for the tribe since 2008. He possibly was exposed to the virus in early March when he was at a convention about life-saving initiatives in Tampa.

“We’ve all been thinking he’s hanging on and maybe he’s going to rally,” tribe spokesman Gary Bitner told the Sun Sentinel. “That was the hope. Everybody was hoping as much as they could possibly hope. Everybody thought that way. He was a really beloved member of the team.”

DiPetrillo began his firefighting career in 1973. He was the fire chief and emergency management director for the town of Davie from 2001 to 2007. And before that, he was an assistant fire chief at the Fort Lauderdale Fire and Rescue Department.

“Don played a major role in bringing a new level of professionalism to the fire department operations of Seminole Fire Rescue,” said William Latchford, the executive director of public safety for the Seminole Tribe of Florida. "Chief DiPetrillo understood that success in life was about just being nice. If you care for people, the rest will take care of itself."

Sal Mancusco, 66, Blooming Grove, NY, Volunteer Ambulance Corps (April 30)

EMS Sal Mancuso, 66, became ill March 27 and was admitted to Montefiore St. Luke’s Cornwall Hospital in Newburgh on April 6, The Middletown Times Herald-Record reports. He was on a ventilator for nearly two weeks before passing away.

For the past eight years, Mancuso served with the Blooming Grove Volunteer Ambulance Corps. He worked as a substitute teacher in Washingtonville and Cornwall school districts after retiring in a sales career in sales and is survived by his wife and son.

“He was just a super-dedicated guy," Brian Bates, the ambulance corps' chief, told the Times Herald-Record.

Edward Ciocca, White Plains, NY, Fire Department (May 1)

White Plains Deputy Fire Chief Edward Ciocca died from complications of COVID-19 on May 1.

Ciocca joined the department in May 1985, and he was promoted to lieutenant in 1991, according to his bio on the city's website. In 1999, he became deputy chief with the department.

"Ed was a true professional, third-generation firefighter, a leader among men and he served our city," White Plains Mayor Tom Roach told News 12.

Ciocca had planned to retire later this year.

"It's so tragic and it stuns you," Bill Ryan, Ciocca's stepfather, told News 12. "It raises all kinds of questions of why this could happen to this wonderful man. Devastating in an appropriate description."

Mark Remolino, 59, FDNY (May 7)

Supervising Fire Protection Inspector Mark Remolino, 59, died from COVID-19 after 26 years with the FDNY, the deparment announced May 7.

Remolino was a member of the FDNY's Bureau of Fire Prevention, and he served in the Fire Alarm Inspection Unit, where he supervised, trained and mentored new inspectors and engineers.⁣⁣

“Supervising Fire Protection Inspector Mark Remolino was an expert in the field of fire alarms and often represented FDNY on committees that developed new codes and standards which kept New Yorkers safe,” Commissioner Daniel A. Nigro said in a statement. “Each day, our Inspectors prevent fires and ensure businesses and buildings in our city operate safely. Without question, Inspector Remolino’s work saved countless lives."

David Pinto, 70, New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority (May 17)

David Pinto, an EMT with the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority for the Meadowlands complex in East Rutherford, died May 17 from COVID-19 complications, reports.

Pinto, 70, had served as the fire chief in Wallington, his hometown, in 2001. He was the third EMT from the NJSEA to die from COVID-19.

“He wore a lot of hats in his life,” Fran Guthrie, his manager at the NJSEA, told “He was very involved. He was a civic leader. A lot of people knew and loved David.”

Pinto had been drawn to the fire department after seeing some of his firefighter neighbors, including Mark Tomko, the president of the Wallington Fire Department, on his street respond to fire calls.

“One day he said, ‘I’m going to get the guts to join,’” Tomko told “He ended up joining and brought in a lot of good members into the department.”

Tomko described Pinto as someone who loved a good joke and was also the station's main cook.

Pinto is survived by his wife, Barbara, his daughter, Nicole, and his son, David Jr.

Retired and Fire Service-Related Members

  • Anthony Iraci, 48, retired FDNY firefighter (March 27): He was taken to the emergency room at Richmond University Medical Center in Staten Island on March 16 and eventually placed in the intensive care unit. His respiratory and immune systems were weakened because of his time spent working at Ground Zero following the 9/11 attacks
  • Anthony “Darnell” Davis, retired Painesville, OH, firefighter (March 27): He joined the Painesville Fire Department on Sept. 6, 1991, and served for nearly 24 years. Davis was known among his colleagues for his singing voice, the department said on its Facebook page.
  • Gary Holmberg, 77, retired Washington, D.C., firefighter (March 29): He served with the D.C. department's Engine 15 for 22 years and retired in 1988 .Holmberg died at a Mt. Airy, MD, nursing home, and the cause of death was pneumonia and possible COVID-19, the Washington Post reports
  • Al Petrocelli, 73, retired FDNY battalion chief (April 1): He was diagnosed with the virus March 24 after feeling fatigued and began experiencing breathing issues March 29. His youngest son, Mark, was a commodities broker and died while working on the 92nd floor of World Trade Center 1 during the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.
  • Dave Swart, 69, retired lieutenant with the Amsterdam, NY, Fire Department (April 3): Along with serving as firefighter, he was the former president of Amsterdam Professional Firefighters, Local 2825, and owner of Dave's Dawgs hotdog truck. Swart was the first known fatality from the coronavirus in Montgomery County, The Daily Gazette reports.
  • Paul Novicki, retired Huron Township, MI, lieutenant (April 9): He served with the department for 26 years before retiring last year to spend more time with his family, Huron Township Public Safety said in a social media post. During his time with the department, he served as a paramedic with rapid response.
  • Ken Harvey, retired Waukegan, IL, fire captain (April 12): He contracted COVID-19 and fell ill a few weeks. Harvey's sona Waukegan firefighter, as wellis also battling the coronavirus.
  • Ken Caley, 59, retired Orange County, CA, apparatus engineer (April 15): The veteran firefighter who served more than 35 years with the Orange County Fire Authority died of complications from COVID-19, the Orange County Register reports. He had been a medically induced coma at Mission Hospital.
    • Fred J. Felella Jr., 58, former Sugar Grove, IL, Fire Protection District firefighter (April 19): He had been battling the virus for three weeks. Felella had been on a ventilator and was showing improvement. But after coming off the ventilator for 30 minutes, his condition quickly deteriorated.

    Voice Your Opinion!

    To join the conversation, and become an exclusive member of Firehouse, create an account today!