Details Emerge on Victims Hurt in Explosion at Searsmont, ME, Sawmill
Susannah Sudborough
masslive.com
(TNS)
Four people who were injured Friday in a fire and explosion at a lumber mill in Maine have been released from hospitals, while eight are still receiving treatment, the Maine Fire Marshal’s Office said Monday.
The mass casualty event happened at Robbins Lumber in Searsmont the morning of May 15. Andrew Cross, a 27-year-old Morrill firefighter, died while battling the massive fire.
As of Monday afternoon, Searsmont Fire Chief James Ames, Lincolnville Firefighter Aaron Heald, Appleton Fire Chief Clifton Marriner and mill worker John Ward had been released from their respective hospitals, state fire officials said in a press release.
Searsmont Assistant Fire Chief Wayne Woodbury, Searsmont EMS Chief Sarah Tompkins, Belmont Firefighter Katherine Paige, Montville Firefighter Jacob Spaulding and mill worker Thomas Wolf remain hospitalized at Maine Medical Center in Portland.
Robbins Lumber owners Alden and Jim Robbins, as well as their family member, Lily Robbins, were also injured in the fire, according to a message posted to the company’s website. They are receiving treatment in Boston at Massachusetts General Hospital’s burn center and “have a long road to recovery ahead.”
“Our hearts are with the family of the firefighter who lost his life in service to our community, and with the firefighters who remain hospitalized as they recover from their injuries,” the message reads. “We are profoundly thankful for the courage, professionalism, and sacrifice shown by the first responders who answered the call that day.”
In the message, Robbins Lumber thanked its employees, industry partners, customers and community for their “extraordinary outpouring of support, prayers and kindness” in the wake of the fire. The company asks that community members looking to support Robbins Lumber donate to their local fire department.
“While this is an unimaginable tragedy, our commitment to our people, our customers, and our future remains unwavering. We are fully committed to rebuilding and moving forward together,” the company said.
At least 25 fire departments responded to the fire on Friday, preventing it from spreading beyond the mill, Maine fire officials said. Firefighters continued putting out hot spots through Saturday morning.
Investigators from the State Fire Marshal’s Office and the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives have determined that the fire began inside a silo at the mill, but are still investigating what caused the fire and explosion. Robbins Lumber has fully cooperated with authorities throughout the investigation, officials said.
©2026 Advance Local Media LLC. Visit masslive.com. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.