Power Cord Eyed as Fire Burns 115 Homes in Nepal

May 5, 2013
Police said an electric short circuit could have caused the fire which displaced as many as 216 people.

RAJBIRAJ: As many as 216 people were displaced after fire engulfed 115 houses at Eknumber Yoginiya of Saptari district today.

The fire that broke out from the houses of Wala Banabariya and Dharmanarayan Banabariya rendered 39 families of Eknumber Yoginiya - 6 and 7 homeless, informed DSP Shyam Singh Chowdhary.

Police said an electric short circuit could have caused the fire.

As most people were asleep when the fire broke out, we could not save anything, said the victims.

Along with the thatched-roof houses, victims lost clothes, utensils, jewellery, furniture, cash and food in the inferno, said Ramananda Bahadakher, a victim .

"One motorcycle, two bicycles were burnt and three cattle were also charred to death in the blaze," he added.

Locals said the fire could not be taken under control any time sooner due to lack of water in the locality.

The fire was later put out with the joint efforts of the Nepal Army, police personnel, locals and fire brigades from Rajbiraj, Biratnagar and Lahan.

Police suspect the illegal use of electricity by using hook on the power grid by the villagers could have caused the fire.

In another incident, property worth Rs six lakh was gutted after a fire broke out at Birendra Chowdhary's house at Hardiya VDC, Saptari, yesterday. The fire destroyed Rs one lakh in cash, utensils, and grains and other valuables.

Copyright 2013 Himalayan Times, distributed by Contify.comAll Rights Reserved

Voice Your Opinion!

To join the conversation, and become an exclusive member of Firehouse, create an account today!