Fumes Sicken Texas Residents

March 20, 2009
A shelter-in-place was lifted after two hours.

KEMAH, Texas --

A shelter-in-place in Kemah was lifted about two hours after it was issued Thursday, KPRC Local 2 reported.

WATCH IT: Shelter-In-Place Lifted After Chemical Release

The calls started coming in to 911 just before 8 p.m. Residents were complaining of itchy eyes and said they were feeling nauseated.

Local officials quickly figured out it was most likely a chemical leak around the 2300 block of Anders Lane, and called for a shelter-in-place.

The shelter-in-place went from F.M. 518 on the north to state Highway 146 on the east, west to Lawrence Road and south to South Kemah. Residents were asked to turn off their air conditioners and close their windows.

Kemah's city manager said a message went out to residents to let them know about the shelter in place. A total of 388 phone calls and 44 e-mails were received.

The shelter-in-place was lifted just after 10 p.m.

Officials said no one needed to be taken to the hospital, but they had ambulances on standby just in case.

When firefighters first arrived to the area,they were overcome by some kind of an odor. The were not hurt or seriously sickened. Five fire departments and Harris County hazmat crews responded.

League City District Chief Bryan Holmes said crews were going through homes and businesses in the area with meters to try to find the leak.

Voice Your Opinion!

To join the conversation, and become an exclusive member of Firehouse, create an account today!