DAYTON, Ohio --
Fire officials said a child with a stuffed animal is to blame for a house fire.
The fire happened on Earl Street Monday morning in Dayton.
Firefighters said the 4-year-old was playing with a lighter.
The family managed to escape the flames safely without any injuries.
Lester Flohr with the Dayton Fire Department said, A parent's worst fear and a firefighter's worst fear is finding a burnt child.
According to fire officials, a neighbor was responsible for helping to get the family out of the burning home.
Tim Simpson said, I went next door and I saw smoke. I went next door and got her attention.
Dayton firefighters arrived at the scene quickly and managed to get the flames out fast. They soon figured out that the child started the fire.
Flohr said, In this case, the young boy has a fascination with lighters. The lighters were put away, but he was able to find some and get them to his room and set his Mickey Mouse on fire.
Fire officials said fire quickly spread to the boys mattress.
Firefighters said this case should serve as a reminder to always keep lighters and matches well hidden from children.
According to firefighters, the home could have been a total loss, if it had not been for the neighbor who came to help.