Indiana Firefighter Hurt at Blaze

Dec. 29, 2008
He suffered a broken leg.


A firefighter has been injured while battling a fire in Charlestown.

The fire broke out at about 3:30 p.m. Saturday, according to neighbors.

Pat Goforth said the fire was so intense it burned some outdoor Christmas decorations.

"We had the doors shut. It was so hot, we couldn't come out. If we had to leave we were going out the back door," Goforth said.

The injured firefighter suffered a broken leg when the roof collapsed, Goforth said.

No one was home at the time of the fire.

Mary Sizemore said the house belongs to her father, Jack Whittley, who is out of town.

Sizemore said she lost a new washer and dryer along with family photos.

Rescue crews said the Clark Road home is a total loss.

So far, there is no word on a cause.

Voice Your Opinion!

To join the conversation, and become an exclusive member of Firehouse, create an account today!