Fireworks Spark Wethersfield, CT, House Fire

May 21, 2024
Firefighters returning from training arrived within minutes and siopped the fire from getting into the house.

Christine Dempsey

New Haven Register, Conn.


May 21—WETHERSFIELD — Used fireworks that were tossed into a plastic garbage pail started a blaze that damaged a local house Monday night, the fire marshal said.

No one was injured in the fire, which damaged the back of the ranch-style home on Mitchell Court, Wethersfield Fire Marshal Anthony Dignoti said. The flames did not reach inside the house.

The fire was reported about 9:15 p.m., and crews were able to respond fast because they were on their way back from training, Dignoti said. The blaze was quickly extinguished.

The occupants were out of the house when firefighters arrived, he said.

Dignoti said the fire was caused by the disposal of the remains of used fireworks in a plastic trash barrel, which re-ignited.

The fireworks were legal, he said.


(c)2024 the New Haven Register (New Haven, Conn.)

Visit the New Haven Register (New Haven, Conn.) at

Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.