Union Colony Fire/Rescue in Greeley, Colorado rescued a Chihuahua named Rolly and provided oxygen at the scene.
Firefighters responded to the home at 9:00 PM Monday, August 2, 2004 and found heaving smoke coming from the basement. All occupants had evacuated the home but reported their pets were unaccounted for.
The fire, confined to a basement bedroom and its contents, was quickly extinguished.
During the primary search, Rolly the Chihuahua was found and carried to the front lawn where crews began administering oxygen to the unresponsive dog. After breathing oxygen for several minutes, Rolly began to come around and was turned over to an Animal Control Officer who transported him to an on-call emergency veterinarian.
No injuries to firefighters or civilians were reported. The cause of the fire was determined to be careless smoking. Damage to the home and contents are estimated at $40,000.