EAST WINDSOR TWP., NJ - A fire broke out around 10:12 a.m. at the Windmill Apartments on Wood Mill Drive, off of One Mile Road on Saturday May 15, 2004.
The fire went to three alarms before being brought under control. Upon arrival four residents were rescued that were trapped on a second floor balcony.
Since the fire started on the first floor occupants from the second and third floors could not escape the building due to heat and dense smoke.
It was reported that the fire was accidental from an un extinguished cigarette and started in apartment 713 which is on the first floor of the 700 building.
Twenty four units of the 700 and 800 buildings were effected by the fire but most damaged were in the 700 part of the building.
Two firefighters were injured. Two residents of unit 713 had minor injuries including burns.
Thirty people were left homeless and the Central NJ and Princeton Chapter of the American Red Cross provide food and shelter for 30 people.
Fire departments on scene were: East Windsor Fire Company #1, East Windsor Fire Company #2, Hightstown Fire Company, Washington Township Fire Department, Plainsboro Fire Department, Applegarth Fire Company, Groveville Fire Department, West Windsor Fire Company, Cranbury Fire Company and several others. EMS was called from East Windsor, Hightstown and West Windor.