Cleveland Building Burning

Aug. 19, 2008
An unattended pot on the stove may be the cause.


Firefighters were at the scene of a fire in downtown Cleveland Tuesday morning.

Officials said the fire broke out about 6:45 a.m. at Reserve Square, which is located on East 12th Street.

The building was evacuated and East 13th Street was temporarily closed. A man in his 30s was transported to the hospital for smoke inhalation. Officials said the tenant left something cooking on the stove.

"It appears it started in the kitchen," said Assistant Chief Brent Collins. "The tenant forgot about food on the stove and woke up. We could see where he tried getting out of his apartment stumbling. Unfortunately, he couldn't make it out."

Officials said the fire was contained to the 13th floor.

Channel 19, which is located in the basement of the building, was also forced off the air because of the fire.

Voice Your Opinion!

To join the conversation, and become an exclusive member of Firehouse, create an account today!