Carbon Monoxide Leaks in Conn. Hospitalize Seven

Oct. 26, 2013
Three people were semi-conscious and four others were hospitalized after carbon monoxide leaks in Manchester.

Oct. 26--MANCHESTER -- Seven people were transported to the hospital Friday after carbon monoxide leaks left three semi-conscious.

In the first incident shortly after 7 a.m., a woman and two children were lethargic from carbon monoxide poisoning, said Robert Bycholski, chief of Manchester Fire-Rescue-EMS. Police officers helped the three out of the duplex at 130-132 Hilliard St., he said.

They were transported to Manchester Memorial Hospital for treatment, as were the three occupants of the other apartment in the duplex. Fire officials from Manchester Fire Department, Eighth Utilities District, are investigating.

In the second incident less than an hour later, firefighters were called to 41 Santina Drive for a possible carbon monoxide problem, Bycholski said. A female occupant who said she had a headache was transported to Manchester Memorial Hospital.

The CO reading in the home initially was high, Bycholski said, but dropped significantly because the homeowner ventilated. The cause of the leak may be a malfunctioning oil-fired furnace, he said.

The chief described the reading in the Hilliard Street duplex as "very high."

"They were very fortunate," Battalion Chief Don Farquhar said of the victims there.

Four of the seven people were transferred to Hartford Hospital, which has a hyperbaric chamber, Farquhar said.

Bycholski said the carbon monoxide calls were the first CO emergencies of the new heating season. He said all homes should have carbon monoxide detectors and properly-vented heaters.

More than 200 fatalities a year are attributed to carbon monoxide as a result of poorly vented heaters, according to the National Safety Council.

Copyright 2013 - The Hartford Courant

Voice Your Opinion!

To join the conversation, and become an exclusive member of Firehouse, create an account today!