FL Firefighters Respond to Elf on the Shelf Emergency

"Firefighters rescued the elf and provided critical care," Ocala Fire Rescue's humorous social media post about the incident stated.

Orlando Sentinel
Ocala, FL, firefighters responded to a house fire Tuesday that turned out to be an Elf on the Shelf emergency.
Ocala, FL, firefighters responded to a house fire Tuesday that turned out to be an Elf on the Shelf emergency.
Ocala, FL, Fire Rescue

An Elf on the Shelf that was left too close to a light got singed, filled a living room with smoke and prompted a call to firefighters Tuesday in Ocala.

As no injuries or major damage were reported, Ocala Fire Rescue used the incident as a lighthearted way to remind residents of fire safety.

The department posted a photo of the red toy with a black gash on its right thigh.

"Firefighters rescued the elf and provided critical care," the department joked. "With no place like home to heal and recover, Elf opted to return to the North Pole while the burn to his leg recovered."

Firefighters reminded residents to keep objects at least three feet from hot items like lights, stoves and heaters.

They also encouraged the used of battery-operated candles.

The post was reminiscent of a December 2017 joke by the Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children in Orlando, which pretended to perform surgery on an Elf on the Shelf mangled by a family dog.

Sam the elf was wheeled on a gurney into the trauma bay where an ER team member was waiting donned in scrubs, mask and surgical cap.

———

©2019 The Orlando Sentinel (Orlando, Fla.)

Visit The Orlando Sentinel (Orlando, Fla.) at www.OrlandoSentinel.com

Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

More in Operations & Training